Sermon on the Mount
Mercy and Purity of Heart
Blessed are the merciful for they shall receive mercy.
1. How do we define the term “Mercy?”
Mercy–not getting what you do deserve / withheld punishment
Grace–getting what you don’t deserve / unmerited favor
2. Give an example of how we can show mercy to others?
3. Why is it important to walk in another’s shoes before we judge them? How does walking in another’s shoes effect the way we treat others?
4. How has God shown us mercy? How do the verses below show us the mercy of God?
1 Peter 2:24 – He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.
Ephesians 2:4-7 – But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ–by grace you have been saved– and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
5. What does James tell us about mercy triumphing over judgment? What does this means for us? James 2:13 – For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
6. Is there ever a time that mercy should not be shown? What are some of these circumstances?
Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God.
7. How does one’s motivation for serving God speak of their purity of heart? How does one apply Matthew 15:18 in this case?
Matthew 15:18 But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person.
8. Why is character important? How would you define character? How is one’s true character exhibited?
Mother Theresa said that each one of us should keep a pure heart for that is the only way to see God in others. What causes one not to see people as God sees them?
9. If we obeyed Philippians 4:8 on a regular basis how would the way we deal with people change?
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.