Peninsula Community Church
July 17, 2011
Jesus had a family … we do too!
- “For nothing is impossible with God.” Luke 1:37
- Mary was chosen to be Jesus’ mother.
What is most amazing in this story is that Mary, a virgin conceived a child. This highlights the fact that with God nothing is impossible. He is able to do anything. You see He does natural miracles, speeds up nature and at times He does the supernatural.
- Natural – Let’s just consider the body. The body is an amazing creation. David said that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Did you know that the body recreates itself every six month? And did you know that modern research has found that the brain can actually rewire itself even if it has been damaged. So this body which has been created by God can reform and reshape itself. In the natural process God can use doctors and medicine to be a part of this natural process.
- Speed up the process. God can also speed up the process of healing and change so that what might take six weeks actually only takes a couple of weeks.
- Or God can supernaturally do miracles that cannot be explained any other way but by supernatural intervention. This was the case with Mary and the birth of Jesus. This was nothing less than a supernatural visitation from God. God took the seed of God and the egg of Mary and united them together to form the God/man.
- What issues are you facing in your life right now that seems impossible? Whatever that may be to God it is not impossible.
Jesus has a name… we do too!
- “I have called you by name; you are mine.” Isaiah 43:1
- As a believer we have been given a new name
When Jesus calls us to be His children He gives a us a new name. A name is important because it is the thing that identifies us. So, in essence, God is changing our identity when we come to know Him. When you receive Him into your heart, He no longer sees you as you were before Christ but now He sees you in a whole new light.
Jesus had a home… we do too!
- “There is more than enough room in my Father’s home.” John 14:2
- He has prepared a place for us in eternity.
In John 14 Jesus tells us that He was to go away so that He could be building us a home. One day whether by death or by rapture we will get to go to our new home. The idea here is that this earth is not our real dwelling place but God has prepared a place for us in heaven where we might live Him forever.
Jesus went to church… we do too!
- “Let us go to the house of the Lord.” Psalm 122:1
Jesus knew the joy of being in church for it is church that we learn to serve as we coexist with others. In the venue of church we learn how to live out our Christianity in ways that can only happen when we fellowship and rub shoulders together.
Jesus served others… we do too!
- “Serve one another in love.” Galatians 5:13
As believers we are not be seat warmers but we are to be active in serving Him. This is not so that we can get Him to love us more but we do so because we love Him and have a desire to honor Him with our talents and gifts.